Tuesday, August 10, 2010

More houskeeping ...

Back when I decided to revive this blog I thought about laying out some general guidelines for this site - a mission statement of sorts. Well I'm happy to announce that I still haven't started it yet.

But I thought that with my post today I would flesh out some of the ideas I have on the subject.

It's important to reiterate that my desire to start blogging again came from my re-realization that there are many people in the world who are committed to Israel's destruction. I've known this for some time but it's one of those things that I find almost impossible to ignore. Every so often it comes back from that place in my mind where I tried to hide it away with all the other horrible things in the world and kicks me in the chest.

An additional motivating factor came from my understanding that Israel is the future of the Jewish people. I think that if you look at the world objectively, at the demographic trends, and at the other trends of Jewish identity, that there is no other conclusion that can be made. There are no alternate Jewish futures where Israel doesn't exist. The end of Israel equals the end of the Jewish people as we know it.

Faced with these two realities I concluded that anyone who cares about the Jewish people, and who wants to see it continue to exist, must therefore care about the continued existence of Israel. You may not like Israel, or its policies, but you must want to see it survive otherwise you don't want the Jewish people to survive.

I realize those are some bold claims and they really need a whole series of posts to explain, but that's my basic thinking. I hope to get my ideas organized and written soon, and then I'll start putting them up here.

No comments: